Welcome and Explanation

Well, it seems like music was bleeding over a lot into my other blog, The Queer Next Door. So I decided to start a separate blog just for music alone. Since I have a nauseatingly big CD collection, I am constantly listening to music that I haven't heard in years. And when I do, I understand just why I loved the music instantly or grew to love it over time.
This is not a place for new music (I'm old).
This is not a recommendation site (this is only my taste in music, y'all ... I'm just sharing).
I am definitely not a music reviewer. (Most critics are just bitter and cynical... just sayin')
Most of the music will come from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. You can say that I'm stuck in the past. Most times, you're right.
Enjoy, if you'd like.
And thank you for reading... TQND

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"The Hardest Part Of Living Is Loving"

I was aware of her, even interested. I am not certain of the first time that I heard her sing, but I am fairly sure that it was on the Academy Awards show. She performed her Oscar-nominated song “A Soft Place to Fall.” Now either before or after that, I purchased the soundtrack from The Horse Whisperer, which had featured the song. The soundtrack was an absolute alt-country jackpot with performances by Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, and Dwight Yoakum (just to name a few). But now, thinking back … I think I had first noticed Allison Moorer by catching her video for “Set You Free,” a smoky break-up song that was featured on her debut Alabama Song. And I believe I noted how similar her voice was to the amazing Shelby Lynne. To my un-astonishment, I found out later that they were sisters.

In any event, I did not purchase Alabama Song then.

But when The Hardest Part was released, I purchase it as soon as it was available. On the strength of hearing “A Soft Place to Fall” and seeing the video for “Set You Free” only once, I was compelled to grab her second offering. Well, those earlier brushes with her music plus some incredible photography on the CD case. On the front cover, Allison was lying on a black hardwood floor in a spaghetti-strap top, her fair locks spilled around her head, her porcelain skin illuminating the darkness. The back cover: Allison leaning slightly forward in a doorway, her red hair framing a beautiful face, blue eyes piercing the air. She was my dreamgirl.

Ok…to the music…

At first listen, I was deceived a bit. Starting with a lone fiddle with a mandolin, acoustic guitar and brushes on the drum joining in after the intro bar, The Hardest Part begins with the title track. Sounding like dancehall music from western Kentucky. You could think of Loretta Lynn or Kitty Wells and not be too far off the mark.
The hardest part of living is loving
'Cause loving turns to leaving every time
With its lovelorn lyrics, the song establishes the mood for the entire set. But not musically.  The ride was going to be a bit more full than the simple hillbilly waltz of the title song.

Southern-fried slow guitar chords open “Day You Said Goodbye” with Moorer singing slow and easy. Half-way through the first verse, easy background vocals, bass guitar and drums fill out the arrangement. But the song opens wider in the chorus with a jam-packed backing of organ, piano and harmonica added to the mix. The song sounds like it could have been in the softer segment of the canons of Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws or some Deep-South outfit.
I’d rather die than face a new day
'Cause I always wake to find
That I'm feeling just as lonely
As the day you said goodbye
Allison sings this mid-tempo burner with soul and depth, trying to woo her love back to her.

Which bring us to the easy groove of “It’s Time I Tried,” the first of the songs on the recording that earned Allison comparisons to Dusty Springfield back in her Memphis period (Allison's sister Shelby would later record an entire album of Dusty songs). "It's Time I Tried" eases in on a descending bass slide, a clocklike backbeat, an easy steel and random guitar licks. Throw in some sweet strings at the chorus, and it’s a thrilling little song. At the bridge, Allison echoes herself by talking the lyrics as she sings them:
All I do is long for you
When I turn out the lights
‘Cause nothing’s left but loneliness
To hold onto at night
.
And the song comes to an end with sustained sweet strings.

The Dusty influence is manifested on the following song as well, "Best That I Can Do." It is another song of resignation over a broken heart that will not heal, which Allison sings with warmth.
Someday I’ll do better but ‘til then,
I can’t let you know how hurt I’ve been.
I wish I had you back with me
But I won’t play on your sympathy
To get you in my arms once again.
The interplay of the steel, the lead guitar and the strings in the instrumental break borders on enthralling.

The song “Think It Over” comes next with one of my favorite moments of the recording. In a fragment of studio banter prior to the start of the music, Allison says “Wait…let me get the sweat off my fingers…” (but she says ‘fangers’ like a good Southern girl). In the boogie-groove of the song, she calls a man out for the dog that he is:
I know why you cheat on me,
(Always running round and round)
Every time I turn my back.
(You’ll never change)
Every woman loves a bit differently
(But hurts the same);
That’s what keeps you going,
That’s what keeps you trapped.
The song rips past on a track of spite and anger.  Sorta like her version of "These Boots Are Made for Walking"

The only true love song of the set, “Bring Me All Your Lovin’” makes up for the bile and blues of all the other heartbreakers. The song is so sublime that Trisha Yearwood covered it for her Where Your Road Leads CD (where Trisha had the incomparable Buddy Miller harmonizing with her). The song speaks to a lover in simple terms offering an insight on just how easy it is to keep the singer satisfied.
There’s nothing at the Five and Dime that I really need.
Your kiss is the only gift that means a thing to me.
And another Dusty song follows. The slow shuffle “Is It Worth It” outlines the end of a dying relationship. Again, Allison sounds prepared to accept the fact that the end of the line has been reached.
Is it worth the both of us staying?
If you think so, then you’re the only one.
Not stated with a swagger, but with a shrug.



The incredible “Send Down an Angel” comes next. In a perfect world, this song would have topped the country charts and crossed over to big success on the pop charts as well (it could have happened in the late 70s or early 80s). Beginning with a straightforward piano accompanied by a mellotron (played by the late musical genius Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco), the song builds, layer upon layer of organ, guitar, steel, strings, until Allison's full-throated prayer for relief from a bad match descends into a sigh at the end. It’s the type of song that one could imagine Tammy Wynette or even Martina McBride having a go at. The song continues the theme of “Think It Over,” but instead of pointing the finger, the lyrics here take an introspective slant:
When it comes to love, I’m in the dark.
I don’t understand
Why I stand by my man.
All he’s ever done is break my heart.

I can’t find the answer by myself.
I need help.
The recording moves along to the walking rhythm of “No Next Time,” where Allison lays down the law to her man (played here by Lonesome Bob, the gruff-voice country guy harmonizing). The final straw has broken the back, and the musical confrontation marches along for over six minutes. Bob sings in the final chorus with Allison joining in on a vaguely mocking tone:
I didn’t mean to break your heart
I apologize
If you’ll just give me one more chance
They’ll be no next time
I promise I will never break your heart again.
And you know by her resolve, that there indeed will not be an “again.”

The set ends with the only other love song on the CD. “Feeling That Feeling Again.” So maybe there will be a “next time.” This song covers the old ground of terminating a relationship and realizing that everything is wrong with the ending.
I thought I had put it behind me
I guess that why I’m so surprised
That my heart started racing
When I ran into you tonight
And just like love that so many have experienced, it’s a big circle: the thrill that sustains us through “Bring My All Your Loving,” the anger and realization of “Think It Over,” the heartbreak of “Day You Said Goodbye,” the loneliness of “Send Down An Angel.”

But the set does not really end with “Feeling That Feeling Again.” There is a hidden untitled song at the end of the CD. The song is simply a strummed guitar, a cello and Allison singing, recounting the true story of the murder/suicide that took her parents lives. For its length, the brief song shows you exactly from where she and her sister Shelby came.

Although their respective music careers have taken them on vastly different courses, I continue to follow the music of both women. The hardest part of living may be loving.  But loving Allison Moorer's music is the easiest part of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment